Frequently Asked Questions – Ranger American Security Systems
- Can I sign up for monitoring without an analog phone line?
- Do I need to register my alarm system with the police department?
- If someone cuts my phone lines, will the monitoring center be notified?
- I moved into a pre-owned home with a Ranger American/Ranger Technology Solutions security system installed, what is the code?
- I just bought a new house with a Ranger Technology Solutions alarm system how do I use it?
- Would having pets cause problems?
- How much does it cost for monitoring?
- When (how soon) can I get connected to the monitoring center?
- Is my monitoring service agreement transferable if I move?
- My alarm went off accidentally, but I quickly put in the code and shut it off. I expected a call, but no one called. Why not?
- What days/times does Ranger Technology Solutions run service calls?
- Why is my keypad beeping periodically and/or my trouble light on?
- How do I reset the time and date on my keypad?
- How can I make my keypad chime when the doors open?
- How do I change my master code?
- My memory light is lit on my keypad, what do I do?
- Why are my smoke detectors beeping? How do I reset my smoke detectors?
- After replacing an exterior door, why is my keypad showing an open zone?
- How do I bypass a zone?
- Why does my keypad display “not ready”?
- If I lose electric power, will my alarm system still work?
I. General FAQ’s About Ranger Technology Solutions
1. Can I sign up for monitoring without a land line phone?
- Yes. Customers that do not have a land line have the opportunity to use a monitored cellular system as the primary communication platform for security monitoring to take place.
2. Do I need to register my alarm system with the police department?
- Yes, to receive assistance from the police department, your security system MUST BE registered with your local police department. It is your responsibility to register with the police department and maintain any permitting fees.
3. If someone cuts my phone lines, will the monitoring center be notified?
- Not without a back-up cellular communication device. Ranger does offer a cellular communication device that sends alarm signals without the need for a conventional phone line.
4. I moved into a pre-owned home with a Ranger American/Ranger Technology Solutions security system installed, what is the code?
- For security reasons Ranger Technology Solutions does not have any security master codes or user codes on file. Only the previous homeowner will have the code(s). In most cases, without the previous code, it is impossible for Ranger to reprogram your security system. You have 3 options to utilize your security system: contact the previous owner for the master code (the system will not be monitored), hire Ranger to install and program a new control panel only (which will still not be monitored), or contact Ranger (888 854-8773) for a security professional to share with you our monitoring packages which will include a new control panel as needed.
5. I just bought a newly constructed house with a Ranger Technology Solutions alarm system how do I use it?
- Call Ranger Technology Solutions (888 854-8773) for a free power-up and demonstration.
6. Would having pets cause problems?
- No, we have a pet friendly motion detector for pets that weigh less than 60 lbs. If your pet weighs more than 60 lbs , we recommend the use of glass break detectors which Ranger can easily install.
7. How much does it cost for monitoring?
- Monitoring packages vary based on the type of system best suited to your lifestyle and needs. We can help you determine the right monitoring package for you. Call (888) 854-8773 for an appointment to speak with one of our representatives today.
8. When (how soon) can I get connected to the monitoring center?
- Typically within 1 to 5 days. A Ranger representative can meet with you to discuss your needs and set up a timeline suitable for you. Call Ranger (888) 854-8773, to speak to one of our representatives today.
9. Is my monitoring service transferable if I move?
- Yes. It can be transferred to your new home if the new home is in the DFW area. It can also be transferred to the new owner of your current home.
10. My alarm went off accidentally, but I quickly put in the code and shut it off. I expected a call, but no one called. Why not?
- The system allows a brief period for you to turn off your system before an alarm signal is sent to the customer monitoring center. This gives you enough time to cancel the signal and prevent a false alarm.
11. What day/time does Ranger Technology Solutions run service calls?
- Monday thru Friday 8 am – 5 pm
II. Operational FAQ’s About Ranger Installed DSC Security Systems Only
1. Why is my keypad beeping periodically and/or my trouble light on?
- To trouble shoot:Press * 2 on the keypad – what zone lights up?
- Zone 1 – battery back-up is low.
- Zone 2 – transformer is defective.
- Zone 3 – telephone trouble.
- Zone 4 – the system is having trouble communicating.
- Zone 5 – fire system trouble. (see “how do I reset my smoke detectors?”)
- Zone 8 – reset the time and date.Call our service department for all service issues. See below for resetting time and date.
2. How do I reset the time and date on my keypad?
- FOR MOST DSC SECURITY SYSTEMS:
Press *6, your Master Code,1,HH:MM (Military time), MM:DD:YY,#
- FOR DSC POWERSERIES SECURITY SYSTEMS:
Press *6, your four digit Master Code,1,HH:MM (Military time),
3. How can I make my keypad chime when the doors open?
- Press * 4 on the keypad – this will enable/ disable the chime feature. If this does not work, call our service department.
4. How do I change my Master Code
- Press * 5 on the keypad, enter your four digit master code, (40), then your new four digit master code #.
5. My memory light is lit on my keypad, what do I do?
- Your security system has alarmed since the last time you have armed the system!!! Please cautiously check your home and family (with the proper authorities if necessary). Investigate the cause of the alarm. The zone that caused the problem should be designated on the keypad (zone light lit).To turn off the memory light, simply arm and disarm the system by entering your four digit master code.Call (888) 854-8773 for service if needed. If it is a false alarm, the system will need to be serviced to avoid false alarm fines from your police department.
6. Why are my smoke detectors beeping? How do I reset my smoke detectors?
- If the smoke detectors are beeping and the trouble light on the keypad is not lit, the smoke detectors are most likely not tied into your security system. These smoke detectors would not have been installed by Ranger Technology. Please contact your home builder or electrician.If the trouble light on the security system keypad is lit: Press * 2, if zone 5 is lit then the smoke detector alarmed. The cause of the smoke alarm should be carefully and fully investigated.To reset the smoke detectors press * Trouble light should turn off.
- If unable to determine the cause of the smoke alarm, please call (888) 854-8773 for service.
- The door you replaced had a security sensor in it. You will need to call our service department to schedule a technician to install a new security sensor in your new door. The service department )(888) 854-8773) can advise you of our rates.
8. How do I bypass a zone?
- Press *1 on the keypad, then the 2 digit zone number i.e. 01, 02, then #. Arm system with your code.
9. Why does my keypad display “not ready”?
- Your keypad is informing you that the alarm system is not ready to turn on (arm). Common reasons for this are that a door or window is not completely closed, a motion detector may be sensing movement, or a previous alarm has not been cleared out of the memory. Correct the condition and the alarm system will be ready to arm.
10. If I lose electric power, will my alarm system still work?
- Yes. In case of a power loss, the back-up battery will activate to maintain your alarm protection for several hours.